Thursday 26 May 2011

First World Problems - Part 1

In an pre-blog effort to commit some memories to digital eternity, I began to scribble a couple of entries into my iPhone. I figured it would be worthwhile to put these in one place. Here.

Written April 15th 2011, 8.15am
 
As I write this, I am sitting on the 141 to London bridge. Apparently stuff went down last night and my head is telling me all about it.

Last year, I had a small health scare after a particularly punishing stag weekend. For a man who used to pride himself on his ability to put away far more than his fair share, a painful recovery led me to drastically cut back on my alcohol intake.

Thankfully it turns out I'm fine, or not actively dying for the moment at least. Still, this has led to somewhat of a lifestyle change – healthier food, more exercise, less beer.

The problem is that boozing is fun. Or at least feels like fun at the time. Currently, my head would disagree…
As a slight distraction from the tribulations of my head, the annual European weekend looms on the horizon. Armed with matching T-shirts [although thankfully this did not actually end up transpiring] and a “foreign money is monopoly money” attitude, six of England’s finest embrace the British way and impart our culture on the wider EU through the medium of debauchery.

This year, lucky Munich got the nod. I know very little of Munich save for the prevalence of the local instrument of torture. The Stein. Obviously, lederhosen clad stein drinking for 20 hours a day is not 100% consistent with my straight edge lifestyle. It is time to make a choice: to beer (heavily) or not to beer (heavily)

This brings me neatly back to last night. I had genuinely not consumed more than 5 pints in one sitting for around 7 months, leading to uncertainty around my body’s reaction to good ol’ British binging .

Any difficult choice (such as the Munich question) should be an informed choice. Any informed choice should be based on evidence backed experiments. Last night provided 7 pints, 3 shots and a Jagerbomb’s worth of experimentation. Evidence collected includes one mother of a headache and the timeless smell of Eau de San Miguel flowing liberally from every pore of my body.

Thankfully, thus far the evidence does not include death, or in fact anything abnormal (when compared to around 50% of my time at university). Experiment 2 begins this evening…

No comments:

Post a Comment